FAU is recognized as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance/Cyber Defense Research (CAE-R) for academic years 2014-2019.
The Center for Cryptology and Information Security (CCIS) is dedicated to original, cutting-edge research in cryptology and information security. The center is also dedicated to education and training of research students and information technology professionals. The center seeks and promotes collaboration with information technology industries of our region, and with federal and state government departments in the areas of information security. CCIS was established in the Fall of 2003 as a FAU College of Science center with funding provided by a Federal Earmark, and is by now founded on the unique strengths of cryptology and information security specialists in four different colleges of FAU. The center is affiliated with the InternetCoast Institute (ICI).
The mission of the Center for Cryptology and Information Security (CCIS) is to promote and advance the state of knowledge, methodology, and training in information security. In particular, the mission of the Center is to:
- Be an internationally recognized center for research in cryptology and information security. Promote and facilitate collaboration with information and communications technology (ICT) industries in the South Florida region, the State of Florida and the Nation, providing leading edge solutions.
- Promote and facilitate collaboration with federal and state government departments working in the areas of information security, especially the Departments of Defense and Homeland Security, and the State Office of Homeland Security.
- To foster interdisciplinary collaboration between the Charles E. Schmidt College of Science, the College for Design & Social Inquiry, the College of Business, and the College of Engineering and Computer Science at Florida Atlantic University.
- To train graduate students in cryptology and information security at the Master's and Ph.D. levels, taking into account our national needs, and to provide a stimulating research environment for post-doctoral and visiting researchers.
- To provide industrial and government partners with access to center expertise and offer them technical short courses.